How to make a Portable Clean-Up Pump to Vacuum out a Pool

How to make a Portable Clean-Up Pump to Vacuum out a Pool

RELATED PRODUCTS:

Poolmaster 33440 1-1/2" x 40' In-Ground Vacuum Hose - Classic Collection

• For use with all pool vacuums
  • Swivel cuff for kink-free maneuverability
  • The swivel cuff end connects directly onto the vacuum head and the non-swivel end connects to the skimmer
  • Spiral wound construction for strength, flexibility, and maximum flow rate
  • Superior tensile strength for crush-resistant operation
  • 1-1/2" diameter x 40'
Poolmaster's Classic Collection offers a generous selection of performance and built-to-last products made from resilient components designed to keep your pool sparkling. For use with any pool vacuum, the In-Ground Vacuum Hose features flexible, yet durable EVA and non-corrosive material. A swivel cuff is built in for kink-free maneuverability during the cleaning process. The spiral-wound construction adds strength, aids in flexibility and provides maximum water flow. Superior tensile strengt
List Price: $ 48.09 Price: $ 44.69

HydroTools by Swimline Weighted Butterfly Pool Vacuum Head

• Garden-Style extreme-weather-resistant-feature nonstandard-shape
Weighted butterfly vacuum head Easy push button on/off telepole connection Fits both 1.25" and 1.5" vacuum hoses Ease-adapt handle fits standard 1.125" poles Dimensions: 11"W x 5.5"D Material(s): plastic/nylon bristles Vacuum head only, pole and hose are not included
List Price: $ 9.39 Price: $ 6.95

Comments (19)

• d1001more Reply

great video. I have a brand new flotec 1/2 hp shallow well jet pump. a lent trap and basket and a small sand filter. I was thinking about putting it on a cart or floor dolly and use it whenever the pool gets really dirty. The actual pump(impeller,inlet,outlet) on the front of the motor is not as large as a typical pool pump but with the right fittings I could attach the lent trap and the sand filter. Can you think of any issue with this rig? I am just thinking the GPM won't be spectacular but still usable as a back up.

July 28, 2016 at 6:28 am
  • Misha Civil Reply

Wow cool

July 28, 2016 at 7:06 am
  • William Kegley Reply

What if you vacuum into waste mode?

July 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
  • Gary Lai Reply

I purchased a 1 HP above ground single speed pool pump Radiant System and followed this video but cannot get pump primed, I even placed the pump within a few inches from the top of the water line in the pool. I checked all hoses no leaks and even applied water pressure via a garden hose inserted into the vacuum end of the inlet hose waited until the chamber was filled then wife covered chamber and turned the pump on, got good suction for 5-10 seconds then no suction. Could it be an impeller problem even though new pump..??

July 28, 2016 at 8:15 am
  • L318A Reply

Great idea but i cant keep the pump primed for nothing in the world ? : (

July 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
  • Jack Jackllfixit Reply

was thinking to do that. sort of a duh moment but I forgot to remove my tap hose from pool and detached from another hose to water plants. Needless to say, been draining all day. LOL. Now have to fill the darn thing! Never thought of bypassing the skimmer and go directly to pump. Will work great if you have an above ground and the water level drops too low when doing a lot of waste cleaning. This will help clean me clean out my pond.

July 28, 2016 at 9:02 am
  • Karen Cohen Reply

can someone tell me the best way to prime the pump. Do I continually pour in water till it fills to the other end of the hose or should I use a garden hose.

July 28, 2016 at 9:27 am
  • battlefocus Reply

I purchased the items put it together and primed it like you instructed on the video and it didn't prime to work i tired multiple times and nothing is there a technic?

July 28, 2016 at 10:06 am
  • A Zubli Reply

I would like to add the C250 filter to your setup. I assume it installs before the pump but would like to be sure? Also what fittings would I use from the filter to the pump so that I can permanently attach them with pvc pipe?

July 28, 2016 at 10:57 am
  • John Patton Reply

I have this pump and filter  https://www.poolsupplies.com/product/hayward-reg-c-400—40-sq–ft–cartridge-filter-system—1-hp-power-flo-pump  that I bought a few years ago.  It used to prime very quick and stay primed the whole time it took to vacuum my 15×30 pool.  Now it's hard to prime, I have to dump bucket after bucket until it finally primes.  Then after only a couple swipes across the pool, the flow starts dropping.  I cleaned the filter which didn't seem very dirty, then primed again and it was good for another few swipes.  Had to repeat that 5 or 6 times to vacuum the whole pool the other day.  Could it be the o-ring on the pump, or could it just be that the filter cartridge is old?  I don't want to spend a bunch trying to get this one working like it used to, if it's something else like the pump itself.

July 28, 2016 at 11:36 am
  • Kendra Dauenhauer Reply

My husband made this pump this weekend and it works great! We saved a lot of money by not buying a portable vacuum system ($1,200+?). We spent about $200 on parts from Amazon. We needed this to vacuum pollen out of the bottom of the pool – which could not be caught by the pool filter system. We used the 1hp motor and it worked great. Pumps a lot of water. Takes time to prime. Have to make sure the hoses are filled with water… Took us about 10 mins to prime. But we are amateurs. Thanks for the video!

July 28, 2016 at 11:43 am
  • Julio Chavarria Reply

Dave, what kind of inline canister do you recommend?

July 28, 2016 at 12:10 pm
  • rikilii Reply

Any reason not to get the 1.5hp version for $10 more?

July 28, 2016 at 12:50 pm
  • Chris Payton Reply

This is a great idea! But will it work with most above ground pool pumps? Or does it have to be this particular Hayward pump? I am under the assumption that most above ground pool pumps do not have the power to draw water vertically, but I might be wrong.

July 28, 2016 at 1:19 pm
  • Este Jimenez Reply

I was told this pump is no good for cleanup vacs, its designed for an above ground pool, is that true how long does it take to prime in an inground pool?

July 28, 2016 at 1:59 pm
  • Rick Miranda Reply

I'm trying to run the Hayward but seems am having some issues getting a vacuum to develop in the primer. Sucks all water out of the primer and then that's it, no flow. Did anyone have any issues like this…

July 28, 2016 at 2:19 pm
  • Adam Covarrubias Reply

I Arity have one it's 120 square-foot cartridge with a 2 horsepower whisper flow. It's just too clunky. Want to make something more portable i'm not sure to go with just a regular dolly or a T dula since I have dual hitch

July 28, 2016 at 2:51 pm
  • Adam Covarrubias Reply

I'm thinking of using this pump and making it into a portable system for my route in thinking of either going with a c250 or c500 filter?.

July 28, 2016 at 2:52 pm
  • Rick Miranda Reply

Been looking for winter vacuuming solutions and this helps. I'm concerned about buying the pump and not being able to rig with proper fittings to my Polaris 360 vacuum hose.

July 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm